Monday, November 8, 2010

Kitchen Tip - Saving Scraps

I recently came across an old Cooks Illustrated magazine and saw this tip: If you are dealing with a large amount of produce and want to save your scraps for the compost pile, line your sink with a section from the newspaper and use the whole sink as your compost bowl. When you are done, just wrap it all up in a ball and take it out to your heap. Toss the paper and scraps in together. Easy peasy lemon squeezy, as my daughter would say.

I actually put this tip to the test  when I was peeling another bushel of apples. (More on that another time.) This technique worked well - the only caveat I would offer is to use a thick stack of paper if you think you will get it wet. I was a little stingy the first time and the paper pretty much disintegrated in the transfer. Once I learned this lesson, it was a handy way to get the kitchen scraps out of the kitchen.

1 comment: