Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gifts for Kids

When I am shopping for kid gifts, I will admit that I often feel overwhelmed. Must be that robust marketing machine that keeps me from being able to think of anything beyond what I see in Target, Costco or One Step Ahead. But every so often I find the energy to think outside of the Toys R Us box.

If you, too, are in need of inspiration, check out You Know, for Kids. It's a wonderful blog written by Myles McDonnell a magazine editor in New York who reviews music, movies, books and toys for kids. He has, in my humble opinion, impeccable taste. He has knack for finding things that might not be in the big box store, but are worth the internet search or trip to that smaller toy store in your town. For example, I discovered on his site that the New York Review of Books publishes previously out of print children's literature under their own imprint they call their Children's Collection. A recent title: Mud Pies and Other Recipes. How cute is that? Around Halloween, he wrote up a list of great spooky books and movies that got his five year old son's seal of approval. Perhaps a holiday list is on the way. I hope so because I need guys like McDonnell to turn down the din of  the Star Wars, Disney and Pretty Ponies marketing madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment