Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cinnamon Buns

I wanted to make Kara's teacher's something for the holidays. Something other than cookies. So I decided to make them each a tin of cinnamon buns. I figured they would be a good holiday treat, or they can be easily frozen for a time when we are not quite so inundated with sugar and baked goods.

I have been wanting to try Pioneer Woman's cinnamon roll recipe for a while and this occasion offered me the perfect excuse. A few notes on her recipe:
  •  I made the dough the night before which worked great. If you do the same, make sure you check on it before you go to bed. It definitely needed to be punched down. I  recommend making the dough ahead of time and refrigerating it for at least several hours - the cold dough is much easier to deal with.
  • I added raisins. You could also add nuts or apples.
  • I didn't have "maple flavor" for the maple icing - I just added about a tbsp of dark maple syrup.
  • I did add the 1/4 cup of coffee, and I also added about a tsp of vanilla extract.
  • The icing isn't really that maple-ish. It it, however, unbelievably delicious.
  • She calls for 1/2 cup milk for the icing. I needed more like 1 to 1 1/2 cups to make it thin enough.
  • This makes a TON of cinnamon buns. I got 8 round tins out of it.
  • This would be very fun to make with kids.

Let me say, that this recipe entirely lives up to the hype. They looked so pretty. I had so much I gave a tin to my sister in law and mother in law, too. Christmas carbs for everyone!



Here is a pan right out of the oven.


Here they are after I dumped a healthy portion of the maple icing on them.

Goodness gracious! Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment