Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Little Helper

Jamie is right in the middle of one of the cutest toddler phases - he wants to help out with everything. Carrying grocery bags, sweeping the floor, putting away the laundry. I just love this time in a toddler's life. I feel like I am seeing the earliest signs of generosity and empathy. When he is trying to pull the bag of groceries saying, "Heavy!" it's like he totally gets what a tough job this mommy gig is. I may be reading too much into this, but I swear, this kid is deep.

And I also appreciate that while he is imitating these grown up behaviors, he is teaching me patience, perhaps the most important parenting skill. It is so tempting to hustle him along, to grab the broom and finish sweeping. But it is ultimately more satisfying to watch him figure out how to swing the broom around without bonking himself on the head.


 

Jamie's favorite household task? Emptying the dishwasher.







This used to be my least favorite job, but I have decided that it's not so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment