Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Crispy Quesadillas


As I have written about previously, I love quesadillas. They are the easy and nutritious. They are universally loved in my house. And they are an opportunity to use up the dribs and drabs of leftovers in the fridge.

For my lunch today I tried a new spin on the traditional quesadillas that we make here, and the results were delicious. Instead of using a wheat tortilla (from Trader Joe's) and folding it in half, I used two small corn tortillas (also from TJ's). Just a quick note: read the ingredients before you buy tortillas - my friend Val had the disturbing experience of realizing that the corn tortillas she bought contained a slew of chemical ingredients. What the hell? Anyway...back to my lunch. Here's how I built my super crispy quesadilla:

Tortilla
Slice of colby cheese since that was what was in the fridge
A couple of tablespoons of black beans because that was what was left in the Tupperware
A scoop of brown rice left from our bi bim bop feast on Saturday night
A few spinach leaves that were too wilty to eat in salad at this point
A dash of onion, garlic and chipotle powders
Another slice of cheese
Tortilla

I cooked it up in my cast iron skillet and put some salsa and sour cream on the side. I happened to go to Whole Foods to buy oats  for our overnight oatmeal today and picked up a little container of salsa fresca - so good. (BTW: Bulk oats are $.99 a pound which is a great deal.) Corn tortillas get nice and crispy on the skillet, and they are the perfect size for one serving. Also, the rice added a little substance to compensate for the small amount of beans that I had on hand.

I have just decided that this is what we are having for dinner. I suspect that Dave will add pickled jalepenos to his. Kara might want some chopped red pepper with the beans and cheese. I may go crazy and spread the last of my homemade ricotta on mine. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment